The most successful organisations are known to give highest value to their team members. The human resource is what moves all other resources to make processes functional. The better skilled the people of an organisation are, the better is the efficiency & performance.
Hence, from a company perspective it is important to embed continuous improvement, enhancement and development of skills into the core culture.
An effective Internal Development Program needs to be put in place, comprising of regular training, learning, skill acquisition, practice and enhancement. What would make this program actually effective is actually putting the learning to practice and building up measurability. While it makes the internal development program more meaningful, measurement metrics creates a win win situation for both the employer & employees, present them with a clear picture of the results.
Skills management takes your human resource efficiency to the next level. It builds on the principles of respect and mutual growth of the team members resulting in the overall growth and development of the organisation. With the underlying Lean Philosophy of “Adding Value to the Organisation by Developing its People and Partners”, Skills Management aims at revolutionary growth and progress by means of individual development.
The skills matrix is most effective when used consistently (both in time and use) across an organisation. A ‘skills matrix’ falls within the ‘skills management’ process. A skills matrix is a grid or table that clearly and visibly illustrates the skills and competence held by individuals within a team. Its primary aim is to help in the understanding, develop, deployment and tracking of people and their skills. Well-implemented skills matrices identify the skills that job roles require, the skills of individual employees, and any gap between the two.
Benefits to the individual
- Increased competencies & efficiency
- A feeling of belonging as the company invests into their role and development
- Decreased stress levels – work competencies increase thus removing uncertainty
- Full awareness of what their ‘role’ entails including the relevant skills competencies required
- Full awareness of the desired areas of growth and where they need to focus their training efforts
- Improved identification and understanding of their own strengths and weaknesses
- Aid in understanding the value they bring to the organisation (which in turn can boost morale)
Benefits to the organisation / company
- Enables managers, function or business owners to understand the skill strengths and weaknesses of employees reporting to them.
- Increased capacity – by addressing skills shortages and increasing employee competencies companies can release real capacity into their businesses without incurring the heavy costs of recruitment
- Creates the ability to search for desired skills and talents across the organisation (e.g. to help fill a role or to assist with either short or long term increased requirements of a task from an end-client)
- A rolled-up view of skills and skills gaps across an organization can enable its executives to see areas of skill strength and weakness
- Enables proficient future planning against projected availability of staff
- When used company-wide it creates management consistency to drive an organisation forward
- Customers experience a quality of product/service increasing the likelihood of them returning and advertising your products/services.
- Customers experience a quality of product/service increasing their loyalty levels
Benefits to the customer / end-client
The customer is ideally unaware of the existence of a skills matrix. However unless there is a value add for the customer the matrix is essentially a waste. Hence the customer is the indirect beneficiary of the metrics who benefits from the increased levels of competency of staff, their ability to resolve queries in a timely manner and having a smooth transaction with each client, everytime. Simply put the benefits are endless.
- Faster response rates (decreased lead times)
- Increased rate of quality in service or products (reduced defect and return rates)
- Increased employee competencies leads to speed which can result in ‘faster to market’ products and services
- Experience a very easy and smooth transaction with company
- Customers feels valued as Customers experience is greatly enhanced
Every professional and progressive organisation should invest in a Skills Matrix. The benefits significantly out way the little investment of resources and time required. Contact us to find out more at www.theideasmith.com